Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Seeking "new" motivation...

I think it's time for something new. I'm not exactly sure what it will be, what to try, or what challenge to accept, so I'm throwing out a request for ideas... ??? Anyone doing anything extra special right now that is motivating them to stay on track? I find myself a bit uninspired lately, and unable to get inspiration from my usual suspects.

I am competitive by nature, not that I am in the "I must win or I won't play" category, but the challenge of competing, even against myself helps to keep me focused and on track. If I compete against other people, I want those that choose to compete with me to do their very best and to want to win, not just play along. In the end, I really don't care if I win or not, in fact, if it makes you play longer with me, I'd rather you win, so we can keep playing. I'm certain that goes back to my days of playing "Double-Dribble" with my big brother... I'm not saying that I let him win, that's not the case at all, I never just "let" someone win anything, but I was thankful to play again when he won our best 2 out of 3 competitions...  and on the rare occassions that I actually beat my brother, I had to just savor the victory and then wait until he decided it was time for a rematch.

In the past when I found myself in a bit of a lull, I'd look up race schedules and register myself in a race or two so that I had something to train for and focus on, but now, racing is no longer an option for me. It's not really a reward to train for something my body does not want me to participate in. Running, especially the kind of running you should do in order to train and compete in a race causes long term extreme nerve pain which shoots down my body and makes normal daily activity difficult. If I plan to stay away from the surgeon's knife, I need to find some other way to set goals... short term goals, long term goals... what should they be now?

It's definitly time to re-think my nutrition strategies... while I have stuck to a nutrition plan that seems to work well for my body, I've lately found myself a little lax, especially from about 10A Saturday mornings though Sunday night... it's amazing how much good effort you can undo in 24 to 48 hours...

I don't have any issue with exercise, I workout 6 days a week and I workout hard... I'm present, focused, and inspired, especially from some of my fellow classmates.

I think what I need most right now is to actually set my next goal and milestones so that I have something to work towards... What are your thoughts? I'd love for you to share...

2 comments:

  1. A large portion of my book club is participating in the "game on diet" - much like the challenge we did last year. I'm not interested in all of the things they are doing, but if a certain talented someone I know wanted to pull something together again, you could count me in on the competition. The interesting twist to me is that it is separated out into teams that collect points instead of individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like it is time to change your diet a bit. Give you some new focus. Plus the change in what you consume might jump start losses again. I was reading lately on glycemic index. It is the same concept as Atkins or South Beath (those focus are reduction in carbs - which generally have the highest GI). But my thought is track your foods by GI and try to minimize your daily total. I was checking on a sites today and it sounds like the concept works for weight loss and there are a lot of charts out there that give you the GI of brand foods.

    ReplyDelete